Saturday, February 14, 2015

Guest Speaker: John Dimmer

John Dimmer was the first presentation where I got the “entrepreneur” vibe. Which I am not sure if that is a compliment or not, but for me it is simply an observation. My favorite part of the presentation was how he explained the “demographic” of the windstream customer, and how that was the driving force behind their business plan. I am in a Human Computer Interaction class that says product design is about the user, and no amount of mathematics can change that. It seemed he was getting at the same core rule, in that you can introduce the right product to the wrong customer base and be unsuccessful. In his case, the windstream was what the customers in the Northwest wanted, and it was wildly successful.

His presentation on funding was interesting. I never knew that businesses started on family and friends money, I thought that was just a rumor. But being able to see the life cycle of funding a business was a bit daunting. John had a lot of experience in this, and knew the process like the back of his hand. However, the idea of getting funding still is a bit intimidating. But, John made it seem like it was just part of the process, if you are willing to work for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment