Sunday, January 11, 2015

What do I want to gain from this class?

    Typically, a student leaves school with their degree in hand and a list of places they will apply. It is not usually their first choice to start a business as this is seen as too much of a risk. I'll be the first to admit that I fall into this category and I do not currently plan on leaving my comfort zone. So, I suppose the first thing I would like to gain from this class is learning to understand the risk associated with starting a business, and if that is something I would like to do. As the saying goes, "Life begins right outside your comfort zone" and I imagine a career does as well.

     The second aspect of this class that I am looking to is learning from Andrew Fry and his peers. In my time at UWT, Andrew Fry has been a great resource for preparing me for a career. Looking over the syllabus, it looks like we will be having a few lectures from people with experience in the software and small business field. Being able to hear from these people and ask questions will give us an edge heading out into the real world, regardless of our career path.

    The last thing I want to gain from this class is being able to discuss and develop ideas for a technology based business. If I choose to work for a large company, a usual interview question is "What would you change about our technology?" I think the ability to discuss a product from a business standpoint is an invaluable skill. on top of that, ideas developed in this class could be the foundation of our careers or the next 60 years. Anything is possible and I am excited for the chance to see where this class takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment